To an uncertain future
Since 2021 I work as a research fellow in the University of Tartu Institute of Computer Science Computer Graphics and Virtual Reality lab and the Computational Neuroscience group, where we study the fundamental principles of the brain – the algorithms used to decrease the uncertainty about the future, achieving insight and mystical-type experiences. Under the lead of associate professor Jaan Aru and with great colleagues we develop a virtual reality application, which could be useful for novel scientific experiments and psychotherapy.
- University of Tartu honorary badge 2020
- Nationally acclaimed science popularizer 2014
- Vasser, M. & Aru, J. (2020). Guidelines for Immersive Virtual Reality in Psychological Research. Current Opinions in Psychology. DOI: 10.1016/j.copsyc.2020.04.010
- Vasser, M., Vuillaume, L., Cleeremans, A., & Aru, J. (2019). Waving goodbye to contrast: self-generated hand movements attenuate visual sensitivity. Neuroscience of Consciousness, DOI: 10.1093/nc/niy013
- Laak, K-J., Vasser, M., Uibopuu, O J., & Aru, J. (2017). Attention is withdrawn from the area of the visual field where the own hand is currently moving. Neurosciendce of Consciousness; 3 (1): niw025, DOI: 10.1093/nc/niw025
- Vasser, M., Kängsepp, M., Magomedkerimov, M., Kilvits, K., Stafinjak, V., Kivisik, T., Vicente, R., & Aru, J. (2017). VREX: an open-source toolbox for creating 3D virtual reality experiments. BMC Psychology, DOI: 10.1186/s40359-017-0173-4
From 2018 I’ve been contributing to the environmental mission of the NGO Estonian Green Movement / Friends of the Earth Estonia on three large topics: energy and climate; mining and phosphorite; and consumption and alternative economic models. I’ve been called an expert regarding keywords such as the oil shale exit, just transition, high-tech non-solutions, civil disobedience, degrowth, low-tech, climate anxiety or ecoanxiety and deep adaptation. I often speak at different events, in media and on a bi-monthly podcast. My main message is that due to the ecological and climate emergency our societies will face some very uncertain times in the coming decades, for which it is still possible and vital to prepare.
In the media:
- Climate neutrality or annihilation? – Bankwatch blog
- Estonia: from shale to gale – Acid News
- Estonia, the wild east of small nuclear reactors – Bankwatch blog
- European Economic and Social Committee Prize 2021
- Ashoka Central and Eastern European climate innovator 2020